Monday 21 October 2013

Midnight Epiphany

MIDNIGHT EPIPHANY

So as I was drifting off to sleep I suddenly realised that Mary's talk on the practice of looking reminded me of an exhibit that I saw in the Ikon Gallery in Birmingham.

Beat Streuli - a photographer that takes photos of seemingly random things in a city.
At the gallery we were given a talk about the exhibit, and even the person talking us through it wasn't completely sure why Streuli took the photos he did. He did tell us though, that a lot of the images had been cropped down from the original, but then some of them had been re-cropped so each time there was a whole new view to the image.

When I first saw the exhibit I wasn't impressed so just walked straight out, but the next time I went in I stopped and actually paid attention to what the photos were showing. I described the images as 'something you see out of the corner of your eye' - you see it but don't quite process what it is, or 'something you pass everyday but you don't pay enough attention to the details to notice it' - because your daily route has become so automatic that you don't need to pay attention to all the small stuff, but if you did then you would see the small things that make a place beautiful.


No comments:

Post a Comment